June 10, 2009

How to Mess Up Your Colectomy Recovery.. Again and Again and Again






Training: Week 3, Day 3
Length: 0
Distance: 0
Power Song: Repetition Kills You by The Black Ghosts

Photo was taken in 2004 during my student teaching placement

Medical advisement believes I'm suffering from a partial bowel obstruction. A clear liquid diet and movement are the best at home cure. If I want medical treatment I'd have to be hospitalized and have a gastronasal tube shoved down my nose. I've been there before, I'd rather not go back. So I'm home for another day or two, drinking broth and walking circles around the house to help things 'work out'. I'm not well enough to train, so this week will be a wash as far a training goes. On the bright side, I'm not in the hospital and I'm able to get around... mostly.

March 2-9, 2004-----My emergency flight back Grand Rapids resulted in me being hospitalized for four days. I was loosely diagnosis with a ruptured abscess in my abdominal cavity. Nothing drip antibiotics and mandatory time off didn't 'cure'. I was released from the hospital on the condition that I stayed within one hour of my surgeon for five days. I missed seven days of student teaching, but on the eighth day I returned to the classroom.

I should make it clear, this move was not approved by my doctor or my parents. In fact, the only people who seemed to think it was a good idea was myself and my supervising teacher, who'd already reminded me that the days I'd missed would be added on to the end of my placement.

When I returned to my classroom I was sapped. I was too tired to make myself dinner, so I ate ice cream. Doing laundry was impossible. Plus, before my colectomy I'd had to resign from my job as an apartment advisor giving up my plush, fully furnished two bedroom apartment for an unfurnished, windowless basement apartment. It was depressing. Oh yeah, I also found out my boyfriend of three years was sleeping with one of our friends. All in all, that time remains a rather grim part of my life.

Well, excepts for getting rid of the smuck boyfriend, I did feel less entagled when the door slammed in his carcass.

Three weeks after returning to the classroom the pain in my side returned. This time I went right to the ER, where I was fondly remembered. Before I left for the ER I called home. I was still talking to my mom when I heard the front door slam and my Dad's truck roar to life. He was on his way. And I would be going home with him.

Dad arrived in Marquette shortly after the ER discharged me with pain meds and a clean CT scan. That night he made linguine with shrimp. It was the best meal I'd eaten since January. I was packed up and returned to Grand Rapids, where I was given the instructions to stay in the area for at least one week. It was Spring Break at school, so my teacher didn't give me too hard of a time. Not to say she didn't give me a hard time, she was after all concerned I wouldn't be back in time for spring break staff training.

Now, I'm a pretty patient person, but getting grief from someone who walked out on me after one week of 'supervision', treated me like a full staff person (minus the pay), and had me write all my own curriculum, really cheesed me. Just to give her something to fret about I told her I might not be back... period. Until my doctor released me, I was not going anywhere.

Not that I believed it of course. My sheer stubbornness would put me back on time, no matter what the doctor said.

March 10, 2004 Return to Student Teaching

March 29, 2004 Return to Grand Rapids for treatment of mystery pain

No comments:

Post a Comment