June 18, 2009

Canadian Invasion


Myself, Shemp & Marcia Check out those bags!


Training: Week 3, Day 4
Distance: 15 miles
Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Weather: 72, Overcast & humid
Power Song: no music today


As I was cooling down my ride today I passed a couple on bikes who were obviously traveling somewhere. They were both carrying four bags each, plus wearing a lot of gear. I did just pass them, but then curiosity got the better of me and I turned around to talk to them.

Come to find out Shemp and Marcia are traveling by bike from Toronto, Canada to Washington State. Yikes! They'd already been on the road two weeks and plan to be on the road until August 31. They are mostly staying in hotels, but are prepared to camp once they hit the mountains. Intense! Then they found out I was riding in Get Your Guts in Gear and thought I was intense-- apparently, they'd never do more than 50 miles a day and me doing 70 a day for three days was really impressive. Hah! Biking across two countries is impressive. I'm just going for a ride.

To make a long story short Shemp and Marcia (who had a wonderful British influenced clip to her voice) were taking the Lake Express Ferry from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI. They had missed the Ferry's entrance (which isn't well marked from the bike path), so I guided them back to the Ferry. I did take a picture of us. Note that my master camera skills were once again used. This time I captured that perfect moment when my eyes were closed AND my leg looks like it has elephantaisis-- I know. I got talent.

What a cool experience to meet cross country travelers. That takes a serious commitment. I wonder what it would be like to take a trip like that.

Coast to Coast with Colitis Summer 2010. Takers? Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment