June 29, 2009

Gears and Guts Both Need Liquids to Keep Moving

My bike chain derailed today-- OPI's Aphrodite in a Pink Nightie partners well with Gear #2 Grease, don't you agree? Training: Week 5, Day 1
Distance: 25.23 miles
Time: 2 hours (exactly!)
Weather: 68 & breezy
Power Song: You, Me & the Bourgeoisie by The Submarines

And the heat wave is finally over! Michigan's weather has been terribly inconsistent for June. Cooler weather in June is normal for us, but usually it's a little warmer than the low to mid 60s. Then last week's temperature spiked to the mid 80s with heavy humidity.

I didn't feel all that well last week-- I was more exhausted and my heart felt like it was pumping lead instead of blood to my muscles. It was a different kind of tired than what I've felt before. It makes me wonder if I was suffering from a little heat exhaustion.

I carry plenty of water when I ride and drink a lot of fluids throughout the day, but when you go from riding in 68 degree weather to 86 degree weather, your body has a harder time adjusting-- especially if you are not a seasoned athlete. Especially if you are not a seasoned athlete, that is also minus your large intestine.

Fun Body Function Fact: The colon is the last part of the human digestive system. It's primary job is to store waste, reclaim water, maintain your body's water balance and absorbing some vitamins (e.g. vitamin K).

Implication: If you don't have a large intestine, it's harder to stay hydrated.

Day to day I drink an average of 2-4 cups of coffee, 1 1/2- 2 liters of water and 1 glass of milk. Last summer I was in West Virginia for a week and upped my water intake to 2 liters of water, plus a couple of glasses of juice and still had a hard time staying hydrated. A fellow patient of my colon rectal surgeon is a marathon runner. My doctor is amazed that he is able to stay hydrated long enough to run 26.2 miles.
The biggest problem I have with staying hydrated is that I can only drink so much before I'm water logged. I have also started to crave soda, whereas before it was more of an occasional treat. I think my body wants the added salt and fluids.

I've always regarded power drinks as something for wannabes and extreme athletes, you know, the Lance Armstrongs of the world. But I think it's time for me to look into them and see if they need to be incorporated into my daily intake.

No comments:

Post a Comment