July 24, 2009

The Missing Grain









I had a very nice compliment from two coworkers today-- they both said that I looked like I was feeling good- better than I've ever looked.

Of course I wanted to scream, "It's because I'm pregnant!" But I didn't. I figured the soon be to grandmothers wouldn't be so open to free babysitting if my co-workers found out I was pregnant before they did.

The truth is I feel the best I've ever felt. And it's just not elation from being pregnant either.

There is more to my story than just colitis. For roughly a year I've felt run down, had extra digestive problems and lots of migraines. I just thought it was all related to my lack of a colon. Four month ago I finally found out what the problem really was-- I'm gluten intolerant.

For anyone who doesn't know about gluten intolerance here is your mini-lesson. Gluten intolerance is the small intestines inability to properly digest wheat, barely or rye in varying degree. People who cannot tolerate any form of gluten at any level have Celiac disease. I can tolerate small doses of gluten without major problems, but I still prefer to not take a chance.

For years whenever I had diarrhea I'd eat a bland diet of toast, soda crackers or pasta waiting for things to calm down, but during the past year that strategy hadn't been working. Also, whenever I ate spaghetti or Eric's wonderful homemade pizza, afterwards I'd feel like I was digesting razor blades. I thought I'd just eaten to much or the tomato sauce was getting to me.

Nope, it was the gluten.

I've been gluten free for 3-4 months now and I feel amazing. I can honestly say that this is the best I've felt physically in almost eight years. I had mentioned that Eric and I have been wanting to start our family for several years now. I can't help but think that the gluten free diet, plus the bike riding, has put my body in the best possible condition to carry a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment